Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Tiny Flashes of Brilliance

Welcome, willing subjects (and those who were tricked or coerced as well), to an experiment. This site is intended as an enormous FUCK YOU to writer's block. We intend to shake loose tiny sparks of brilliance from the idle mind and get it going. Sound like a thing you want to take part in? Drop us a line. We'll bring you into the fold somehow. In any case, for this particular exercise, Mimey and I came up with a series of two-sentence couplets. Our beta testers below put about 100 words between the two to form a literary moment. We're still missing two submissions. You two know who you are and don't think I won't send out my collections agents. They're not big and burly, just hella freaky and I promise you a part of you will die as a result of the meeting. And no, I don't mean "la petite morte." =P

Mimes, do you have anything to add?

{wombat out}

Mimey Victor Sierra: all I want to add is that feel free to leave sentences for others, feel free to take inspiration from the sentences left (or even already used) and leave a hyperlink in the comments to anything that results and we'll publish a shiny, glowing link to you. Go on, make writer's block a thing of the past.

{mimey out}


In all seriousness, or if not all, then at least enough to carry us through--actually no definitely not all seriousness as such-- here are the, we hold, tiny flashes of brilliance that have resulted thus far. If you want to join just drop a line and we'll set you up with a couplet at our earliest convenience. From the looks of things thus far, this site will be updated on a rigorous "Whenever we get around to it/feel like it" basis.

Encourage us by joining in and we'll update it loads.



One

To prove a point, the General hugged a child with nuclear arms.
‘For the greater good, always for the greater good. The only way to save the planet from itself, to preserve our values. This world is a war.

They’d sent a delegation. To plead for clemency. The General was prepared to give in, to concede. He welcomed their dove, insisting he shared their concerns. He welcomed their white flag, as it walked hesitantly toward him, welcomed it as if he’d had the idea himself.

He smiled with his mouth. Pulled the boy close. Soft cheek muffling the click that heralded detonation. Disharmonious existences, man’s conflict with eternity was silenced. And thus came the end of the world.

JvS


Two

His love life was proverbial, he was the vomit to which dogs return. The women who came to his pawnbroker's and came in his flat were thin, pinched, desperate. And Abbey had sold everything she had, she laughed and called him Uncle and ran after scratchcards. He met her on Monday nights in the pool hall, bought her Bacardi to keep her sweet, quietly hating her breath. One Tuesday just before closing, she barged in from the rain, drenched and devoid of diamonique. All she had was an umbrella, literally the last thing. He tried to refuse to take it. She glinted inside, sensing sympathy and a way home. The umbrella remained unsold.

Orange Anubis


Three

I don’t ever want to look at a pear again. I don’t ever again want to be doused in fetid ripeness - nevermore bruised flesh crammed into my lips.

No, not even an under-ripe specimen. Oh, the stink! Every pear will be an impending explosion. Williams, Conference, maybe even avocado.
Snap, snap, snap “ I don’t care if it’s your final year project. I don’t care how much of a fantastic model you think I am. Okay, so maybe I’m a little flattered. But it’s just my lack of propriety that impresses you. Yes?

And yes I’m impressed with your post-modern rendering of what a lovely pair. Was your flash really flat? Quite a disappointment.
Look, it’s just that I wasn’t keen how everything got squidgier by the minute and the tin bath was rather a sharp touch. I suppose toys would've been a nice addition with a little more forethought.

In an avocado suite next time? Well, I admit that does raise a smirk. Maybe a mango thrown in? Well, it’s been a while. A chance for me behind the lens and you might just have a deal.

Really? I’ll be responsible for all electricals? Yes, you’ve done it again. I’m a sucker for your sweet tongue so long as you stay open to suggestion. So next time I’ll make sure the battery has been charged.

BB


Four

Freddie said it suited me. His voice was mellow and unassuming; wool draped upon his lupine intent. The idle gaze whose presence was made apparent even as I turned my back was passively predatory. A gift of suspicious nature lay on the couch. He slunk into the other room so I could test his theory, the door's click leaving no ears for protest. A skin flick gambit that six drinks had failed to disguise. The pale luminescence of a romantic cliché washed over me as I remembered something he'd told me before. Words that had now undermined their goal. "Don't forget, the window's open."

Esoteric Wombat